These delicious appetizers are not only elegant but a welcome refresher for summer parties. With the help of a few kitchen gadgets they’re also easy to make. You’ll need a 1 1/2-inch round fluted biscuit cutter, a melon baller, and a piping bag fitted with an open star tip. Makes: 30 appetizers
3 pound seedless watermelon
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
2 teaspoons honey
1 seedless cucumber
Fresh Basil leaves
- Slice and set one-third of watermelon aside. Slice remaining watermelon into 1/2-inch thick slices. Remove rind, then cut watermelon into rounds using a 1 1/2-inch round fluted biscuit cutter – you should get about 30 pieces. Set slices aside. Use a melon baller to form 40 balls from the one-third piece of watermelon. Set balls aside.
- Wash and dry cucumber. Cut into slices; about 1/8-inch thick. Cut each slice in half.
- In a bowl, add the ricotta cheese and honey. Whisk until smooth & creamy.
- Fill a piping bag (fitted with an open-star tip) with ricotta cheese mixture. Pipe mixture onto each watermelon round.
- Add one melon ball to each appetizer (in the center of the ricotta cheese) and tuck in a piece of cucumber alongside each ball. Garnish with a small sprig of fresh basil. Serve immediately or refrigerate.