Tired of plain old grilled salmon? This light and flavourful Thai-style salad is a spicy alternative for those looking for a little variety. This dish is easy and quick to make – 40 minutes or less.
Makes: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup shallots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon red chili powder
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons Thai or red chili peppers, diced
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh salmon fillet
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
2. In a small bowl, gently whisk together shallots, brown sugar, fish sauce, chili powder, Thai chili pepper, and lime juice. Set aside.
2. Brush salmon fillets lightly with vegetable oil. Place on a baking sheet and cook until cooked through and flaky. Remove from oven and let cool.
2. Break salmon fillet into large chunks. Place in a bowl and add onion, fresh basil and the dressing. Gently stir until everything is well coated.
3. Spoon mixture over a bed of fresh mixed greens, garnish with fresh mint leaves and serve.