A delicious veggie burger full of protein, whole grain fiber, and great taste! Makes: 6 servings.
Prep Time: 15 min • Cook Time: 30 min • Total Time: 45 min
1/2 cup millet
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup water
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp finely grated ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
1 handful baby spinach, chopped
juice of half a lemon
1 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
salt and pepper
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup chickpeas, roughly chopped
1 tbsp olive oil, or more, for frying
- Add the millet to a saucepan over a medium heat and toast for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the millet starts to turn golden. Add water and salt and stir well and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Set aside and allow the millet to cool completely.
- In a skillet, over medium-low heat, and add the olive oil, onion, turmeric, coriander, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Saute until the onion is softened and the spices fragrant. Add the grated ginger, garlic and spinach. Cook just until spinach is slightly wilted. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the millet, onion and spice mix, parsley, lemon juice, grated lemon rind, soy sauce, chickpeas and breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the eggs and mix well. Form the mixture into burgers. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Place a large frying pan over a medium heat and add the olive oil and cook the burgers on 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until golden.
- Serve on burger buns, or use in a tortilla wrap.