Seasoned slices of pan-seared beef tenderloin nestled in watermelon ‘boats’. A healthy and flavourful entree for summer entertaining. Can you say très chic?
1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
4 beef tenderloin steaks, cut 1 1/2 inches thick
1 tablespoon rosemary
2 tablespoons whole peppercorn blend, slightly crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1 very small watermelon, quartered
1 large green Bell pepper, thinly sliced
4 ounces feta, cubed
1 cup fresh raspberries
1 lime, juice and zest
1/2 lb. Prosciutto or Parma Ham, optional
Fresh blueberries, optional
1 cup dry red wine
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup olive oil
1. In a small bowl, whisk together red wine, soy sauce, Dijon mustard, garlic, and oil. Place steaks in a sealable plastic bag. Cover with marinade and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
3. Heat oil in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Place the peppercorns in a Ziploc bag, and with a meat tenderizer or a large, heavy can, smash the peppercorns to break them up a bit. Combine rosemary, peppercorn blend and salt in a small bowl.
4. Remove steaks from marinade and season with peppercorn mixture, lightly pressing mixture to steak. When oil is very hot (almost smoking), sear steaks 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Place in oven to continue to cook; about 5 – 10 minutes for medium rare or until steaks reach desired doneness. Allow steaks to rest at least 5 minutes before slicing.
5. While the steak is resting, remove carve out watermelon flesh from the quarters and cut into bite size cubes. Combine cubed watermelon, green pepper, feta, and raspberries in a large mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Add the lime juice and zest, and toss to coat evenly.
6. When the steak has rested, cut it into thin slices, against the grain.
7. To serve, arrange each watermelon quarter on a plate. Divide the salad mixture among each watermelon ‘boat’, and top each with equal amounts of sliced steak. Arrange a few slices of Prosciutto on each plate and top with fresh blueberries. Enjoy!