he Roasted eggplant, sweet red peppers, and tangy feta cheese with a creamy red pepper and garlic mayo sets this sandwich apart from your everyday ham and cheese combo.
Makes: 2 sandwiches
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, quartered
- 1/4 cup bottled roasted red bell pepper, drained and blotted dry with a paper towel
- 8 eggplant slices, cut 1/2-inch-thick
- 1 large red Bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 (1-ounce) slices ciabatta bread
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat broiler.
- In a food processor or blender, combine mayonnaise, red pepper, and garlic. Blend until mixture is almost smooth. Set aside.
- Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and remove the membrane. Arrange bell pepper halves (skin side up) on a baking sheet. Press hand on peppers to flatten them. Brush eggplant slices with 1 teaspoon oil and arrange in a single layer alongside peppers. Broil 4 minutes then turn only the eggplant slices over. Broil an additional 4 minutes; remove eggplant from pan. Broil bell pepper an additional 7 minutes or until blackened. Place bell pepper in a zip-top plastic bag and seal. Let stand for 15 minutes (this allows skin to soften from steam). Remove peppers from bag; peel and discard skin.
- Spread red pepper mayo on one side only of each of the bread slices. Layer each bread slice with pepper, eggplant slices, and top 2 slices of the bread with 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese. Place these two slices, cheese side down, on the other two bread slices.