Tender rigatoni pasta filled with a meat sauce, topped with cheese and baked until bubbly, and golden. This pasta dish is an elegant way to serve ordinary rigatoni. A springform pan for fast, easy removal and a no-fuss recipe has dinner on the table in no time!
Total Time: 1 hr 45 mins ¦ Makes: 8 servings
Note: You can use your favourite store-bought pasta sauce to save time.
1 lb rigatoni pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 lb ground beef
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
softened butter or non-stick cooking spray
1 1/2 cups finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
8 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
Fresh sage leaves, optional
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta until slightly underdone (less than al dente); about 8 minutes. Drain. Toss pasta with 1 Tablespoon olive oil to coat. Add 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese; stir to coat pasta. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef. Cook, stirring occasionally until browned. Add garlic, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano, and basil. Cook 2 minutes more.
- Add crushed tomatoes; simmer until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Grease a 9-inch springform pan with butter, or use butter flavour non-stick cooking spray. Tightly pack pasta into pan, standing each piece on end. Spread meat sauce on top of pasta. With a spoon handle, gently push the meat sauce into the pasta holes filling each one up.
- Cover pan loosely with foil. Cook in a 375°F preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. Remove foil. Sprinkle mozzarella and remaining Parmesan cheese on top and bake, uncovered for another 10-15 minutes until cheese is bubbly and golden brown. Add prosciutto slices and sage leaves, if desired, and bake 5 minutes more. Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edge to loosen and then unmold.
- Serve with garlic bread and a green salad.