Loaded with the goodness of quinoa and kale, these crispy fritters are satisfying and delicious.
Makes: 8 fritters
2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa, cooled (follow package directions)
3 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, finely shredded
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1-2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for frying
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced (optional)
4 cups fresh kale, chopped (or frozen chopped kale)
3/4 cup fine breadcrumbs
1. In a large bowl, whisk together 3 eggs until smooth. Add quinoa, Parmesan & cheddar cheese, green onion, salt and cayenne pepper and mix until combined well.
2. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and jalapeño and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add kale to skillet and cook until bright green and slightly softened.
3. Add kale mixture to quinoa mixture. Stir in breadcrumbs and mix to combine.
4. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add a few tablespoons of oil, or enough to cover the bottom of the pan.
5. Form 8 patties using approx. ½ cup of quinoa mixture. Working in batches, place patties in the skillet, and fry until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side.