Ready in just an hour, and loaded with vegetables and beans, minestrone soup is a delicious and nutritious weekday meal. Serve with a fresh garden salad and warm crusty bread.
Prep. time: 15 mins • Cook time: 45 mins
Makes: 8 servings (approx. 1 1/2 cup each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced white onions
- 1/4 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen cut green beans
- 1/4 cup celery, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can white beans or great northern beans, drained
- 1 /2 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup carrots, julienne
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/3 cup small shell pasta, optional
- In a large stock pot, heat two tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, garlic, green beans, and zucchini and saute in the oil for 5 minutes or until onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add vegetable broth, drained tomatoes, beans, carrot, hot water, and spices.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add spinach and pasta (if desired) and continue to simmer for another 20 minutes.