Raspberry jam sandwiched between two delicate and buttery almond cookies, Linzer cookies are not only delicious they’re pretty too, making them a favourite for the cookie jar or for giving as gifts.
- 1 ½ cups butter, softened
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup ground almonds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup Raspberry Jam
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat, in a large bowl, using an electric mixer, butter and sugar until combined. Beat in next 3 ingredients, until a soft dough forms.
- Shape dough into 2 flat discs. Wrap well with plastic wrap and refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Roll, on a lightly floured surface, the discs to about ⅛-inch thick. Cut out cookies with a 2½-inch cookie cutter. Use a smaller cookie cutter to punch out a hole in the centre of half of the cookies. These will be the tops of the cookie sandwiches.
- Place cookies on prepared baking sheets 1-inch apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack, 30 minutes.
- Place cookies bottom side up and spread with 2 tsp jam. Top with a cutout cookie. Press lightly to form a sandwich. Sprinkle with icing sugar.
Note: While star patterns are the traditional cookie cut-out shape for Linzer cookies, you can use any shape you desire.