There’s still enough of a chill in the Springtime air to warrant a little warm up from this soup. This soup is simple, flavourful and loaded with nutrition from the superfood kale.
Makes: 8 cups – 6 servings
- 8 oz sausage, casings removed, sliced (you can use turkey sausage, chourico, mild Italian, etc.)
- 1 medium-large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/4 pounds potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and diced
- 12 ounces fresh kale, tough stems removed and leaves chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes, optional
1. In a large stock pot, brown sausage.
2. Add onion and garlic and saute for a few minutes, or until onion is translucent. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
3. Stir in potatoes and kale (and tomatoes, if desired). Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, until potatoes and kale are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.