Prep time: 5Cook time: Total time:
- Kale leaves (about half a bunch)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, plus 1 Tbsp for sprinkling
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Wash kale and dry thoroughly by blotting with paper towels. Remove kale leaves from the tough main stem. Roughly tear the kale into pieces.
- Add kale to a large mixing bowl and drizzle with oil. Use hands to massage the oil into all the nooks and crannies of the kale leaves. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Stir to mix well.
- Add spice mixture to the kale and toss with hands to distribute, working it into the grooves so it’s thoroughly coated.
- Arrange kale on baking sheets and spread into an even layer – don’t overlap pieces.
- Sprinkle the kale pieces with more nutritional yeast for extra flavor, if desired. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove baking sheets from oven and turn kale pieces over to ensure even baking.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes more, or until kale is crispy and golden. Let cool before serving.
- Store in an airtight plastic bag for 2 days.
NOTE: If you want to add a little heat and nutty flavour you can add 1/4 teaspoon chili pepper, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and 1/4 cup raw cashews. Add together with the nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper, and pulse in a food processor until finely ground. Proceed to step 5.