Moist, fluffy and full of banana flavour, this quick bread recipe is a keeper.
Makes one 9″ × 5″ × 3″ loaf
3 large over ripe bananas (approx. 1½ cups mashed)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup (8 tbsp.) butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Grease and flour a 9″ × 5″ × 3″ loaf pan.
3. In a medium size bowl, mash bananas until creamy and stir in lemon juice. Set aside.
4. In a medium size bowl, whisk together dry ingredients – flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
5. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and the white and brown sugar.
6. Add the beaten eggs, and stir until combined.
7. Fold in the bananas (and walnuts, if desired).
8. Add the vanilla extract and buttermilk and stir until combined.
9. Add the dry mixture into the wet mixture. The key to any good quick bread is not to overmix the batter. Gently combine ingredients until dry mixture is just incorporated into the wet mixture. Don’t worry if there are lumps – they’ll bake out.
10. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake immediately.
11. Bake on center oven rack for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Oven temperatures vary so check the bread after about one hour. If done, a toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean, and the edges of the bread will start to separate from the pan.
12. If desired, brush the top of the bread with melted butter when the bread comes out of the oven.
13. Once the pan is cool enough to touch, hold your hand over the loaf pan and carefully invert the pan — the loaf should drop right out. Let the loaf finish cooling to room temperature on a wire rack.
Top with baked banana chips if desired. Slice and serve.
Baked Banana Chips
Bananas, thinly sliced
Kosher salt, if desired
1. Place sliced bananas (1/8″ thick on baking sheet). Brush with lemon juice mixed with just a little water. Sprinkle with cinnamon and kosher salt.
2. Bake at 250F for about 2 hours, turning after 90 minutes.
3. Let cool (the longer they cool the crispier they become).
Baked Banana Chips are welcome additions to your child’s lunch box too!