Bermuda carrots are now in season and readily available. Try these sweet, locally grown, gems in a creamy puréed soup. Packed with beta-carotene, this healthy, delicious soup is sure to lift your spirits and warm your soul on a damp, chilly day. Ready in just over an hour, you can have dinner on the table in no time. Serve with salad and warm crusty bread for a complete and satisfying meal.
Prep: 20 min Cook Time: 40 min Total: 1 hr 15 min
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large Russet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Heat butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat; add onion, celery, garlic and ginger. Cook until onions are soft and translucent. Add carrots, potato and chicken broth. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
2. Transfer soup in batches to a food processor; blend until smooth.Return soup to the Dutch oven. Alternatively, use a handheld immersion blender to purée until smooth. Stir in cream. Add curry powder, salt, and black pepper; cook over low heat until heated through, about 10 minutes.