These roll-size bread bowls, filled with classic Mexican chili and topped with cheese, are hearty enough for big appetites.
1 medium white onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
12 oz. chorizo sausage, casing removed, roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 small can green chilies
1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can corn niblets
8 ready-to-bake whole wheat roll dough
2 cups shredded cheese – mozzarella or cheddar
- In a large pot, cook onion in a little oil, stirring, for about 3 min or until onions are softened. Add chili powder, paprika, black pepper, chorizo, garlic and red bell pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 min or until red pepper starts to soften.
- Add diced tomatoes and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add tomato sauce and green chiles, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 min or until slightly thickened. Stir in beans and corn niblets and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 min or until chili has thickened and the flavours have melded.
- Prepare and bake roll dough according to package instructions.
- Remove from oven and allow rolls to cool enough to handle. Turn oven heat to broil.
- Using a small serrated knife on a slight angle inward, cut out a circle from the top of each roll; set aside tops. Using a fork, hollow out roll, leaving a 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick wall around the edge and about 1/2-inch (1 cm) at the bottom.
- Place bowls on a baking sheet. Ladle chili into bowls and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Place baking sheet in the oven and broil until cheese is melted; approx. 3-5 minutes.
- Place chili bowls on serving a plate with tops on the side.