There’s no mistaking the sharp, salty flavour of blue cheese in this classic steak sandwich. The flavour of earthy mushrooms intermingles with the sweetness of balsamic vinegar resulting in a delicious sandwich that is sure to satisfy hearty appetites.
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 (8-ounce) Ribeye steaks
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- Ciabatta bread
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 teaspoons of the oil, vinegar, garlic, and salt and pepper until combined. Place the steaks in a resealable plastic bag and then pour marinade over the steaks. Turn the bag over a few times to coat the meat evenly. For the best flavour, marinate the steaks in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to two hours.
- Over medium-high heat, grill steaks until desired doneness, approximately five minutes per side for medium rare. Remove, and set aside when done.
- Heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms with a pinch of salt and cook, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes. Add blue cheese and stir to blend. Season with fresh ground black pepper.
- Slice ciabatta bread in half. Brush cut sides with a little olive oil and grill until golden and crusty. Remove and assemble the sandwich. Add steak, and top with blue cheese and mushroom mixture. Enjoy!