Deliciously sweet, yet slightly tart, Very Berry Cranberry Cookie Bars are easy to make and make a colourful addition to any cookie jar.
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen, don’t thaw them)
- 2 teaspoons coarse sugar
Note: cranberries can be substituted
with blueberries, raspberries, or
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and spray a 9×13-inch pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, cream together canola oil, butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- Add the flour and baking soda and stir just until the batter comes together.
- Spread 2/3 of the batter in the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with berries, then drop the remaining dough in spoonfuls over the fruit. Don’t worry about covering the whole top – it will spread as it bakes, filling in all the gaps.
- Sprinkle the top of the cookie batter evenly with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden and springy to the touch.