Chef Norma dishes up one of Bermuda’s most beloved dishes – Fish and Peas ‘n Rice!
Recipe from Chef Norma Cross – Outerbridge’s
- 2 fresh fish fillets – each about 3 inches square and 1-1/2-inches thick
- 1 to 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon Outerbridge’s Original Fantastic Fish Rub
- 1 lime
- 2-3 teaspoons Outerbridge’s Wine & Vinegar Pepper Sauce
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pack (approx. 3-4 oz) sliced almonds (toast, if desired, taking care not to burn)
- In a bowl, blend flour and rub until fine.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1/2 fresh lime juice and 2-3 shakes of Outerbridge’s Wine and Vinegar Pepper Sauce. Coat both sides of fish fillets with mixture. Let sit for 10 minutes. Pat fillets with paper towel to dry, dip both sides of fillets in the flour mixture. Shake off excess.
- Place butter and extra virgin olive oil in pan. Bring to medium-high heat. Pan fry both sides of fillets until golden brown.
Peas ‘n Rice Ingredients
- 1-16 oz. package blackeye peas (or substitute 3 cans blackeye peas, drained and rinsed)
- 5-6 oz pancetta or 1/2 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1-14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes, drained, and chopped (Chef Norma suggests DelMonte Cajun Style Stewed Tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped (if using dry thyme 1 Tbsp.)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped (if using dry rosemary – 1/2 tsp.)
- 1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon Outerbridge’s Sherry Peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Fry pancetta (or bacon) until crispy, remove from pan. To same pan, add onion, celery, peppers, and garlic. Sweat until onion is translucent. Add cooked pancetta (or bacon), stewed tomatoes, seasonings, broth, wine, sherry pepper sauce and salt and pepper. Bring to boil. Add blackeye peas and simmer until almost cooked/tender. If using canned blackeye peas, simmer about 10 minutes. Drain mixture and reserve liquid.
For the rice: Measure the reserved liquid and add enough vegetable broth to make 2 cups of liquid. In a large pot, add 1 cup of Long Grain Rice (NOT instant) or Basmati rice and the 2 cups of liquid. On medium heat, cook until almost done – about 15 minutes. Stir rice; add the pea mixture; stir and simmer for 5-6 minutes until rice is fully cooked, stirring gently to avoid rice from sticking to pan.
To plate: Place Peas ‘n Rice on plate, mounding in a tower fashion. Lean fish fillets against the Peas ‘n Rice mound. Sprinkle sliced almonds over fish. Garnish with finely chopped fire-roasted peppers and chopped parsley, if desired.
Gosling’s Wine of the Week
PAUL MAS PICPOUL de PINET
Chef Norma’s fish recipe calls for a distinctive wine and Gosling’s have chosen Paul Mas Picpoul de Pinet. This wine from Southern France is very light with fruity tones of pear and apple. It is zingy, with a lemony light style on the tongue. This white wine is light and refreshing on the palate.
The retail price is $22.75 and it’s available at Lindo’s and Gosling’s stores.
Seasoned to Taste – Hosted by Chef Peter Jovetic
An exclusive presentation of Lindo’s Group of Companies
As broadcast on VSB TV11 on July 29th, 2014