Sweet and savoury stuffed dates are easy and quick to prepare. They’re the perfect appetizer for special occasions.
Yield: 12 servings
12 Medjool dates
6 pieces of bacon
2-4 ounces of goat cheese, or blue cheese, if you prefer
12 whole walnuts
12 pre-soaked toothpicks
1. Soak toothpicks in water for at least 20 minutes (to prevent burning in the oven).
2. Preheat oven to 450°F and grease a baking sheet with non-stick spray, or line with parchment paper.
3. Slice open dates lengthwise, remove the pits (you want the halves to remain together so just slice enough to remove pit), and stuff with 1/2 to 1 teaspoon goat cheese. Insert one walnut into each date.
4. Cut 6 pieces of bacon in half so you have 12 pieces total.
5. Wrap each date with a piece of bacon, and secure using a toothpick.
6. Place the bacon wrapped dates on the baking sheet. Bake for 14–17 minutes, turning a few times during cooking to ensure the bacon is evenly browned.
7. Allow dates to cool for 5-8 minutes before serving.