Rubbed with a combination of smoky and spicy seasonings, and then slow roasted to perfection, this chicken is moist and flavourful. The addition of sweet potatoes adds just the right amount of sweetness to this dish. Seconds anyone?
Prep Time:15-20 min • Cook Time: 3½-4 hours • Makes: 4 servings
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 lb. whole chicken
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
FOR THE SWEET POTATOES
- 3 large sweet potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a small bowl, combine the seasonings – smoked paprika, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, thyme, and salt.
- Brush the chicken with olive oil and then rub the entire chicken with spice mixture making sure to season under the skin as well.
- Stuff the chicken with the onion, lemon, and sprig of thyme. Place the chicken on a rack placed in a roasting pan.
- In a separate bowl, mix together dark brown sugar, smoked paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, and salt. Place sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Add oilve oil and stir until poatoes are coated. Add brown sugar seasoning, and stir to coat well. Add potatoes to roasting pan with chicken. Sprinkle chicken and potatoes with pieces of fresh rosemary.
- Bake for 3 1/2 – 4 hours, until the juices run clear and a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reaches between 165°F and 170°F.