Don’t let the grits fool you! With Cajun seasonings, Andoiulle sausage and shrimp, Chef Derek’s dish is authentic Louisiana fare – spicy and hearty!
Recipe from CHEF DEREK MYERS – Island Restaurant Group
Ingredients for the Grits
– 4 cups of water
– 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
– 6 small cloves of garlic, finely minced
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 cup of heavy cream
– 1 cup of uncooked quick grits
– 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
Bring water to boil, add cream and then grits, stir for 5 minutes, add cheese and seasoning.
Ingredients for the Shrimp
– 1 tablespoon of canola oil
– 1 cup of mild Andouille or other spicy smoked sausage
– 1 tablespoon of butter
– 2 pounds of small to medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
– 1 tablespoon of all purpose flour
– 1/2 cup of chopped onion
– 1/4 cup of chopped green bell pepper
– 1/8 cup of chopped celery
– 1 can diced tomatoes, well drained
– 3 teaspoons of Cajun seasoning
– 1-1/2 cups of chicken broth
– 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
– Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
– Red pepper flakes
Heat oil, add shrimp and sausage, cook for a few minutes, add butter and flour; cook until brown. Add trinity (onion, peppers, and celery) and cook 1 minute. Add tomato, Cajun seasoning and broth and cook until reduced. Add butter and pour over grits.
Gosling’s Wine of the Week
TERUZZI & PUTHOD TERRE DI TUFI
Gosling’s have paired Chef Derek’s recipe with Terazzi and
Puthod’s Terre Di Tufi. It’s an elegant and fascinating white wine. Because of its qualities and features it has always been known as the ‘White Super Tuscan’, as it can be considered the white version of the famous and much appreciated red wines of Tuscany.
The retail price is $24.25 and it’s available at Lindo’s and Gosling’s stores.
Seasoned to Taste – Hosted by Chef Peter Jovetic
An exclusive presentation of Lindo’s Group of Companies
As broadcast on VSB TV11 on April 22nd, 20143