A savoury tomato sauce, with a touch of heat, that complements salted codfish beautifully.
This recipe comes from renowned Bermudian Chef, Fred Ming.
1 oz. butter
2 oz. onion, chopped or sliced
2 strips bacon – cut into pieces
1 oz. flour
1 oz. tomato paste
1 oz. ketchup
1 small can whole tomatoes, chopped (or stewed tomatoes, chopped)
1 clove of garlic, chopped
A few sprigs of fresh thyme
1 whole hot chourico sausage, diced
Freshly ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a thick-bottomed saucepan. Add onion, bacon and garlic and brown lightly.
- Add hot sausage and tomato paste. Add a little flour to bind; cook for two minutes.
- Add remaining flour, and mix thoroughly.
- Add chopped tomatoes, ketchup, thyme. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spoon over cooked fish or combine boneless fish with the sauce in the saucepan. Serve and enjoy!