Wholesome, gluten-free quinoa adds a nutty, earthy flavour and crunchy coating to chicken breasts, while adding an extra punch of protein and dietary fiber.
Makes: 4 servings
4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts, rinsed and patted dry
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups cooked quinoa
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
drizzle of olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a wire rack over a baking sheet.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs and set aside.
- In another shallow bowl, combine: quinoa, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Dip one chicken breast in the egg mixture, allow the excess egg to drip off and then dredge in quinoa mixture. Make sure to press chicken firmly into quinoa so that it sticks to the chicken breast. Place chicken on wire rack. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
- Drizzle chicken lightly with olive oil and place in oven.
- Bake for about 20 – 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and quinoa is golden and toasted.
NOTE: You can think of quinoa as an excellent replacement for breadcrumbs or panko. With that in mind, feel free to experiment with a variety seasonings. For spicy coated chicken add 1/8 teaspoon paprika,1/4 teaspoon cayenne, 1 teaspoon chili powder and 1 teasppon cumin, salt and pepper to cooked quinoa. If you like it cheesy, follow the recipe above but add 4 tablespoons of finely grated Parmesan cheese.