These pumpkin doughnuts are baked, not fried, resulting in a cake-like texture that is moist and delicious. They’re full of spices reminiscent of pumpkin pie and glazed and decorated in colours that are frightfully fun for Halloween celebrations.
Prep time: 10 mins • Cook Time: 15 mins • Total time: 25 mins • Makes: 12 doughnuts
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ cups granulated white sugar
- 1½ cups canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1¾ cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose unbleached flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease a doughnut pan with a cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, baking powder and flour.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the oil, eggs, sugar and pumpkin. Mix together until well blended.
- Add the flour and mix on low until smooth, do not overbeat.
- Fill each doughnut pan cavity to three-quarters full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. Doughnuts are cooked when a toothpick inserted in center of the doughnut come out clean.
- Remove from the oven; allow to cool for 5 minutes, then remove doughnuts from pan and finish cooling on a wire rack. Cool completely before glazing.
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
- A drop of vanilla bean paste
- Food colouring (red, blue, yellow)
- In a small bowl, mix icing sugar and milk intil sugar is dissolved.
- Separate glaze into two bowls.
- For purple glaze add red and blue food colouring until you reach desired shade.
- For orange glaze add yellow and red food colouring until you reach desired shade.
- Add edible decorations as desired.