Cook time: 25-30 mins ¦ Total time: 40 mins ¦ Makes: 12 servings
Celebrate the season with a cup of good cheer!
1 cup fresh cranberries
6 cups cranberry juice cocktail
1/2 cup raisins (or any flavour Ocean Spray Craisins®)
4 cinnamon sticks
2 bottles (750 ml.) fruity, dry red wine (Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon)
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar, to taste (or you can sweeten with honey)
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/8 teaspoon orange zest
3/4 cup orange-flavor liqueur (Grand Marnier)
Coarse sugar for rimming glasses
Star anise, and extra cinnamon sticks for garnish, optional
- Rinse and sort cranberries, discarding any bruised fruit.
- In a large pot; add rinsed cranberries, cranberry juice, raisins, and cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil over high heat; cover and simmer on low heat, about 20 minutes.
- Add wine and 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar, to taste. Continue to cook on lowest heat for 5 to 8 minutes; stirring gently until sugar is dissolved; do not boil.
- Add almond extract, orange zest, and orange liqueur; stir and keep punch warm over lowest heat.
- To serve, ladle into sugared rimmed glasses. Garnish with cinnamon sticks and star anise, if desired.