Egg whites are beaten until soft peaks form, then gently folded into the ricotta cheese batter, making these pancakes incredibly light and fluffy. Delicious!
Makes about 4-6 pancakes.
6 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
8 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
1. Pre-heat griddle on medium-low heat.
2. In a bowl, mix together ricotta, egg yolks, butter, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Fold the dry ingredients into the ricotta mixture.
3. In another mixing bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold egg whites, a third at a time, into the ricotta mixture making sure not to overmix. You want to keep the volume in the batter.
4. Melt one tablespoon of butter on pre-heated griddle. Using a small ladle, pour batter onto griddle and spread out a bit.
5. Cook pancakes for 4-5 minutes, or until they are golden brown on the bottom and tops start to bubble. Flip and cook the other side for 3-4 minutes.
6. Serve immediately. Top with strawberry sauce, blueberries or confectioner’s sugar.