Lemony, light, fluffy pancakes with the goodness of chia seeds. Chia Seeds are a great way to add fiber, omega-3 fats, protein, vitamins and minerals to any recipe. Apart from their health benefits, chia seeds are a great replacement for eggs in many recipes as they act as a binder.
Makes: 10-12 pancakes
For the pancakes
2 tablespoons chia seeds
¼ cup water
1½ cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 banana, mashed
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1½ cups milk (or almond milk)
For the Glaze
1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Mix together chia seeds and water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together banana, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla extract, milk, and the chia seed mixture.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Don’t overmix.
- Warm a skillet over medium heat. Grease with oil or cooking spray.
- Pour ¼ cup of batter per pancake onto the hot skillet. Flip pancakes over when the edges are brown and the middle of the pancake has bubbles; about 3 minutes per side.
- To make the lemon glaze, in a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of the lemon juice. If mixture is too thick, slowly add up to another tablespoon of lemon juice until desired consistency is reached. Pour the lemon glaze over the top of pancakes. ENJOY!