Yummy Recipes For Bermuda
A Piece of Cake
by Robyn Dickinson-Baras
- 3/4 cup butter salted
- 1 cup butter unsalted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 1/3 all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 5 oz Gosling’s Black Seal Rum
- 4 tbsp Gosling’s Ginger Beer
- 2 limes
Set your oven to 350°
Grease or prepare 12 cupcake tins
Cream 1/2 a cup of room temperature butter and 1/2 a cup of packed down brown sugar. Mix in one egg and then add 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 a cup of molasses. In a separate bowl combine 1 1/3 cups of all-purpose flour, 3/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp of baking powder.
Continue to add 1/2 tsp of ginger, 1/2 a tsp of nutmeg and 1/4 tsp of allspice. Combine wet ingredients with dry and beat until creamy. Put in cupcake tins greased or using muffin cups. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Rum Chocolate Ganache
Crush 2oz of semi-sweet chocolate until fine. Add 1/4 cup of heavy cream and microwave for 30 – 45 seconds. Take out and stir in 2 – 3 tablespoons of Gosling’s Black Seal Rum. Set in fridge and return to stir every 10 mins.
Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a saucepan and then add 2 tbsp cold water and half a cup of sugar. Stir until boiling then remove and put into a dipping tray and
then let cool.
Take the cooled cupcakes and let them sit in the dipping trays for 5 – 10mins. Set upside down on wax paper and let the glaze soak into the cupcakes. Using
something hollow like a bottle cap remove the center of the cupcakes, approx 1/2 way down. Take the Rum Chocolate Ganache and pour inside then replace plugs.
Blend a cup of unsalted butter until creamy. Add 5 – 6 tbsp of Gosling’s Black Seal Rum and 4 tbsp of Gosling’s Ginger Beer. Add 6 cups of powdered sugar or enough to create the right consistency.You don’t want it runny. Using a piping bag and tip apply the icing on the cupcakes and garnish with a fresh lime wedge.
Lamb’s rich flavor and buttery tenderness make it a star choice for everything from grilling to braising. Lamb is an excellent source of high-quality protein and an average three-ounce serving of lamb has only 175 calories.
Chef Allen Susser believes American lamb, in its own right, adds a full-flavor component to the plate. “It can be combined with any number of forward aromatic seasonings such as garlic, fennel or rosemary. The unique flavor is so delicious and lamb is versatile enough to be presented casually or elegantly,” he says.
Adobo Crusted Lamb Loin Chops
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons coriander seed
- 2 teaspoons cracked pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon each fresh thyme and rosemary leaves
- 8 American Lamb loin chops, 1-inch thick
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- In a dry skillet, toast fennel, cumin, coriander and pepper for a few minutes until aromatic; let cool and grind coarsely in a spice grinder or blender. Stir in salt, garlic,oregano and lime zest. Add the thyme and rosemary to the spice mixture. Rub both sides of each lamb chop with about a tablespoon of the spice mixture; cover and marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat oven-proof large skillet over medium-high heat; add 2 tablespoons of oil, heating until it shimmers.
- Place lamb chops in the hot pan and sear for 3 minutes; turn lamb to sear the second side for an additional 3 minutes.
- Place the pans into the 400ºF oven; bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until lamb is cooked to your liking.
For those that do not have a lot of experience cooking with lamb, determining when it is done is the biggest challenge. Avoid guessing and use a good meat thermometer. Visit the American Lamb website for Lamb 101 and cooking times.
WINE SUGGESTION: Zonnebloem Pinotage.
By April Gosling Naude. Available at Gosling’s Stores
This ever popular, robust Pinotage has a brilliant red colour with intense cherry and vanilla aromas and nuances of wood on the palate. Savour this full-bodied wine on its own or try it with poultry, game or red meat dishes. Serve slightly chilled; put in the fridge for 25 minutes prior to opening.
What You Need
1 can (12 fluid ounces) Nestlé Carnation Evaporated Fat Free or Lowfat 2% Milk
2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
1 cup pomegranate juice
1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
2 tablespoons honey or more to taste
1/2 cup ice cubes
How to make It
1. PLACE evaporated milk, blueberries, juice, concentrate, honey and ice in blender; cover.
2. Blend until smooth.
3. Pour into tall glasses and serve immediately.
COOKING TIP: Substitute cranberry juice for pomegranate juice, if desired.
Source: Nestlé USA, Inc.
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 3 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 1/2 packages (18 ounces) dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/2 bag (6 ounces) white chocolate chips (optional)
- Food coloring of your choice (optional)
- Coconut (optional) read more…
A great breakfast casserole with eggs, peppers, onions and Johnsonville Breakfast Sausage that is sure to be a family favorite. This crowd-pleasing favorite is great for your Easter Brunch buffet table and can be made ahead of time to make entertaining easy! read more…
Beef Wellington is a traditional English dish of beef tenderloin coated with pâté de foie gras, packaged in pastry, and baked until the crust is golden brown and the filet is a tempting shade of rare to medium-rare pink. Usually reserved for special occasions, Beef Wellington has rich, complex flavours and makes an elegant presentation – perfect for a romantic Valentine’s Day dinner. read more…
Valentine’s Day is the perfect excuse to indulge in chocolate. Instead of giving a traditional heart-shaped box of chocolates, show your love by baking this rich, and sinfully decadent dessert – it’s the perfect ending to a romantic dinner at home. read more…
Recipes from Hidden Valley Ranch Kitchens
Original Ranch Spinach Dip
Makes 6 (1/2-cup) Servings
1/2 packet Hidden Valley Original Ranch Dips Mix (0.5 oz)
1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
1 cup light sour cream
1 box (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
1/3 cup chopped walnuts (or consider using pecans or water chestnuts)
1. Combine Ranch Dips Mix, yogurt, sour cream, spinach, and walnuts.
2. Chill 30 minutes or until just before serving.
3. Serve with whole wheat crackers and raw vegetables.
Chill Time: At least 30 minutes
Baked Chicken Tenders
Makes 8 Servings
1 packet (1.1 oz) Hidden Valley Original Ranch Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix
2 cups non-fat Greek yogurt
1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1 package (20 oz) chicken tenders
1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Olive oil cooking spray
1. Combine 1/2 packet Ranch Dressing and Seasoning Mix with yogurt; refrigerate.
2. Combine remaining Ranch Dressing and Seasoning Mix with buttermilk; refrigerate.
3. Rinse chicken and thoroughly pat dry on paper towels.
4. Combine chicken and buttermilk mixture together in a food storage zipper bag.
5. Refrigerate 6 to 24 hours.
6. Heat oven to 425°F.
7. In a food processor, combine breadcrumbs, almonds, garlic powder and pepper.
8. Coat chicken in breadcrumb mixture.
9. Set a wire rack on baking sheet and coat with cooking spray.
10. Lay chicken pieces on wire rack and spray with more cooking spray.
11. Bake 16 to 18 minutes until no longer pink (internal temp at least 170°F).
12. Use yogurt mixture as a dipping sauce.
WINE SUGGESTION: Carmel Road Monterey Chardonnay 2010
Suggested by Stefan F. Gitschner.
Available at Gosling’s Stores.
This Month ENTER TO WIN Chef Livio Ferigo’s Amore Bermuda cookbook!!
Simply try out the recipes provided here from Hidden Valley Ranch OR submit your own favorite snack recipe, and comment/email mb.bi1490653418wt@st1490653418setno1490653418c1490653418 to tell us about it. We will choose from the comments who wins!
December’s recipe is from Executive Chef Livio Ferigo
For the crust
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
½ cup cold butter, broken into small pieces
5 tbsp cold vegetable shortening
8 tbsp ice water
For the filling
8 medium apples (1 medium apple = approx. 1 cup)
1/3 to 2/3 cup sugar
¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp margarine read more…