This easy, one-pot soup is hearty and full of South of the border flavor. It’s a perfect choice for your Boxing Day or New Year party. Serve with tortilla strips for an authentic look and taste.
Prep time: 15 mins • Cook time: 1 hour • Makes: 12 servings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- Baked tortilla strips, for garnish
- Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese, for garnish
- In a large stock pot, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add water, corn, black beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, pearl barley, green chiles, chili powder, and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken; cook 15 minutes longer or until chicken is heated through and barley is tender.
- Serve with shredded Monterey Jack cheese and tortilla strips.