These Brown Rice & Lentil Burgers are a great vegetarian meal – delicious and gluten-free. They’re perfect served with fresh greens and an Avocado & Ranch Dressing.
Makes: 6 patties
- 1 cup lentils, cooked
- 1 3/4 cups short grain brown rice, cooked
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + pepper
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- oil for cooking
- Heat 2 teasppons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, celery, mushrooms, walnuts, parsley, thyme, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper and cook until softened; about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup cooked lentils and 3/4 cup cooked brown rice, and egg to a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Add pureed mixture to vegetable mixture. Add remaining brown rice, lentils and sunflower seeds.
- Form lentil and rice mixture into 6 patties (about 1/4 cup of mixture for each pattie).
- Heat 1 tablesppon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place 3 patties in skillet and cook for about 4-6 minutes per side until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with remaining patties.
- Serve hot with Avocado Ranch Dressing.