These tortilla bowls are perfect for lunch or dinner. These bowls are vegan but if you can always add dairy toppings, if desired.
Makes: 8 servings
- 8 burrito-size (8-inch) flour tortillas, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) corn niblets, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
Optional toppings: chopped avocado, queso sauce, shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, or salsa.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly spray both sides of each tortilla with non-stick cooking spray. Press each tortilla into a 1-quart oven-safe bowl to form a bowl shape. Place on a baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes or until edges are browned. Let cool 3 minutes. Remove tortillas from bowls; cool completely.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and onion; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, corn niblets, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and lime juice. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes. Add rice and beans; cook and stir until heated through.
- Spoon about rice and bean mixture into each tortilla bowl. Serve with assorted toppings, if desired.