Fish and chips is a popular British dish but it has always found a home on tables in Bermuda as well.
The fish is tender and flaky, and the batter is light and crispy. We recommend using a good English ale for the best flavour.
Prep time: 15 minutes • Cook time: 15 minutes • Total Time: 30 minutes
Makes: 8 servings
- 2 quarts vegetable oil for frying
- 8 (4 ounces each) fresh cod fillets
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (12 fl oz) bottle beer
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 365° F.
- Rinse fish, pat dry, and season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine flour, garlic powder, paprika, 2 teaspoons salt, and 2 teaspoons pepper. Stir egg into dry ingredients. Gradually add beer, incorporating well, until a thin batter is formed.
- Dip cod fillets into the batter, then carefully drop one at a time into hot oil. Fry fish, turning until sides are evenly golden brown. Drain on paper towels, and serve warm.
- Serve with coleslaw, malt vinegar, lemon, or tartar sauce.