Potato crisps with avocado filling and fried shrimp flavored with herbs make an elegant and delicious appetizer for a cocktail party.
Makes: 24 appetizers
For the shrimp
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 24 jumbo shrimp (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and deveined
For the Avocado Salsa
- 2 large avocados
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 green chile pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
24 Lays Stax Crisps (or you can substitute with tortilla scoops)
- For the avocado filling, place all the ingredients in a bowl and gently combine. Set aside.
- Combine 2 tablespoons olive oil with parsley, basil, green onions, lemon juice, orange juice, mustard, salt, pepper, and garlic in a food processor. Process until smooth. Place mixture in a bowl; add shrimp and stir to coat. Marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove shrimp from marinade and add to skillet; sauté 3 minutes or until shrimp are thoroughly cooked (opaque).
- To assemble: Fill each potato crisp with avocado salsa. Nestle one shrimp into salsa filling. Repeat until all crisps are complete. Arrange on a platter and serve immediately.