Instead of the traditional sautéed cabbage, I decided to add a few spices to create a twist in flavor and add additional health benefits. Fennel seeds add a sweet smell and taste, while cumin seeds add earthiness and mustard seeds add a light spicy pungent flavor. To aid in health, the highly revered turmeric known for its anti-inflammatory properties was added to this spice mix changing the cabbage to a yellow color.
Recipe from Ishmir Savory
Vegan Chef & Holistic Nutrition Health Coach
Makes: 6 -8 servings
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 medium sweet onion, sauté sliced
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 large carrot, julienne
- 1 medium savoy cabbage head (1 – 1.5 lbs.), regular green and/or red can be substituted
- ½ cup lightly roasted cashews
- Sea Salt
- Cayenne Pepper
- Remove coarse outer leaves of the cabbage. Cut in half then quarters to remove the core. Cut each quarter into fine shreds – or use a food processor, if available, to make things easier.
- Heat the oil in a large stainless steel or cast-iron pan over a medium heat. When the oil begins to shimmer, toast the fennel, cumin and mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds begin to pop add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent; approx. 3 -4 minutes.
- Once the onions are cooked add the julienne carrots, turmeric, and a sprinkle of sea salt into the mixture and stir for another minute.
- Add the cabbage to the pan with 3 – 4 tablespoons of water to prevent sticking and stir to evenly combine for a minute or two. Then cover the pan to allow the cabbage to steam. Lower the heat and cook for another 7 – 10 minutes or until the cabbage has cooked down to desired texture. (I personally like to have a little bit a crunch left in the cabbage). Taste the mixture and adjust seasonings if necessary with additional sea salt and cayenne. Stir in the lightly roasted cashews and serve!
For more information on holistic nutrition visit savory-vitality.com or Email: moc.y1560876094tilat1560876094iv-yr1560876094ovas@1560876094rimhs1560876094i1560876094